Let’s Catch ’em All! Looking at GameFreak’s revealed information on Pokemon X and Pokemon Y
Hello gamers! In this article we are going to be hitting more into the news of gaming, looking at an upcoming game and what has been given to fans before its launch. Where better a place to start these articles than with Pokemon X and Pokemon Y!
Pokemon has been around for almost 20 years! Coming to fans first on the Gameboy with Pokemon Red and Pokemon Blue; this franchise has evolved with Nintendo being their second-most profitable title next to the Mario franchise. On October 12, for the first time, Pokemon will be coming to the world simultaneously in an all new 3-D rendering on the Nintendo 3DS!
Lets kick off this article with what seasoned trainers look forward to the most, the new Pokemon of this generation:
As fans have grown with the franchise, they have come to expect slow but sure reveals of what Pokemon to expect from their new adventure. And the Kalos region is the perfect place to meet some new Pokemon! Lets dive in:
– Fennekin: The new Fire type starter of Pokemon X and Y, this fox has intense heat that blows out of its ears and loves to snack on twigs!
– Braixen: Being the evolved form of Fennekin, it has become bipedal and lost its apatite for twigs. However, it does carry one around which seems to calm it.
-Chespin: The new Grass type starter of Pokemon X and Y, Chespin has a hard shell that adorns its head and back. It is very curious and gets itself in trouble and is highly optimistic!
– Quilladin: The evolved form of Chespin; Quilladin’s shell has become bigger and even harder. Despite its sharp and prickly appearance it is said it is a very gentle and passive Pokemon.
-Froakie: The Water type starter of Pokemon X and Y, Froakie is a rather light but strong pokemon and the bubbles on its body protect it from attacks!
– Frogadier: The evolved form of Froakie becomes even more adept at jumping around once it evolves. It even takes its skill and confused opponents by jumping onto ceilings or into trees during battle.
– Tyrunt: Unearthed from the Jaw Fossil and brought back to life, this dinosaur sports the unique dual type of Rock and Dragon! Tyrunt also has the new ability Strong Jaws, which boosts the power of biting attacks.
-Tyrantrum: The kingly Tyrantrum dominated its foes over 100 million years ago, will you revive the jaw fossil and raise your Tyrunt into the king of Pokemon to keep his reputation in tact?
– Amaura: This adorable Rock/Ice type Pokemon can be revived from the sail fossil. Amaura has the new ability Refrigerate, which turns all Normal type attacks into Ice type attacks!
-Aurorus: The evolved form of Amaura, Aurorus blasts freezing air at its opponents to inflict damage. It has the new attack Freeze Dry which has been revealed to be super effective against Water types!
– Furfrou: These poodle-like Pokemon have the ability of having their appearance changed by grooming them! If you don’t keep up with grooming it though it will revert to its shaggy original form.
– Meowstic: The new cat Pokemon of X and Y is a Psychic type that has a uniqueness to it. First it has two alternate forms based on its gender, but these forms also differ by how they play in battle. Female Meowstic are more offensive while male Meowstic are more supportive in battle.
– Litleo: The new Normal/Fire type Pokemon has a fiery heart in battle, its mane blazing bright when its excited. It can use the new move Noble Roar, an attack that lowers the opponents Attack and Special Attack stat.
– Pyroar: The pride leader and evolved form of Litleo, Pyroar has two alternate forms based on gender. Male Pyroar are leaders of their prides, the females defend the groups young.
– Flabébé: An all new Fairy type Pokemon. Flabébé will claim a flower at an early age and carry it through its whole life. This means that each Flabébé you encounter will look different!
– Dedenne: The adorable Pikachu-Esq Pokemon has a dual type of Electric and the new Fairy type! It uses a new attack called nuzzle, which ahs a chance of paralyzing its opponent.
– Bunnelby: These rabbit like Pokemon are known for their digging skills, they like to make their nests underground and use their shovel-like ears to dig them out.
– Skiddo: This new Grass type Pokemon is said to be the first Pokemon to live alongside humans. And in doing so for so long it doesn’t mind carrying people or loads on its back!
-Gogoat: The evolved form of Skiddo, Gogoat can be mounted by its trainer and ridden around the landscapes of the Kalos region!
– Pancham: The cute panda Pokemon attempts to be intimidating by glaring at its opponent but is unsuccessful due to its adorable appearance. It has a trademark leaf it carries around and can use the new fighting move Parting Shot!
– Pangoro: Pangoro are a justified and cantankerous Pokemon. They evolve from Pancham through a new method of evolution. They dislike those who pick on the weak.
– Inkay: Having a unique dual type of Psychic and Dark these cute little squid Pokemon use the transmitters above their eyes to drain the will to fight from their opponents.
– Malamar: Malamar have one of the strongest hypnotic capabilities of any Pokemon and are the evolved version of Inkay. They can use the new move Topsy-Turvey, which inverts all stat changes on the opponent!
– Swirlix: Another new Fairy type Pokemon that is exclusive to Pokemon X. Swirlix eat nothing but sweets and as a result have a body that is as sweet and sticky as cotton candy.
– Slurpuff: The newly revealed evolution of Swirlix, Slurpuff is another pure Fairy type Pokemon. It has become a useful assistant to chefs with its intense sense of smell!
-Spritzee: A pure Fairy type pokemon, Spritzee is the perfume Pokemon. Having the ability Healer, when it is switched out of battle it will regain a third of its health!
-Aromatisse: The evolved form of Spritzee, Aromatisse can give off many different scents. Some are enjoyable but others can be so repugnant that it can swing the tides of battle to its favor!
– Oorotto: Not much is known about this mysterious tree like Pokemon. It is speculated to be a Ghost/Grass dual type, a unique combo of types never before seen aside from Rotom, the plasma Pokemon that possesses technology.
– Honedge: Having another unique dual typing of Steel and Ghost, Honedge are a sword that became possessed! The cloth on the hilt unsheathes the Pokemon’s blade-body, unwary people wield Honedge on accident and can have the energy sucked out of them!
– Doublade: The newly revealed evolution of Honedge. Doublade uses telepathy to perform intricate attacks!
– Noivern: The Kalos regions new Dragon Pokemon is aggressive to those that get too close to it. It travels the night skies using ultrasonic waves it emits from its ears to navigate. Noivern learn a new move called Boom Burst that causes an explosion that hurts all Pokemon on the field.
– Fletchling: The adorable Flying type Fletchling is a popular choice among trainers, it is also ferocious in battle unleashing onslaughts of attacks.
– Talonflame: Having a dual type of Fire/Flying that is usually unique to legnedary Pokemon and the starter Pokemon Charizard, Talonflame is a fierce fighter using powerful kicks to attack!
– Clauncher: This new Water type Pokemon is recognized for its massive claw that it uses to shoot water at its opponents
-Skrelp: The psudo-seaweed Pokemon is good at disguising itself in the wild. It will soak its opponent in poison to keep them from struggling and carries a Water/Poison dual type.
– Helioptile: Another unique type combination of Normal/Electric, Helioptile can use the new attack Parabolic Charge which heals the user with half of the damage it deals to its opponent.
– Sylveon: What all Pokemon fans have been waiting for, a new Eevee-lution, Sylveon sports the shiney new Fairy typing! Sylveon can learn the Fairy type attack Moon Blast which deals damage and can lower the opponents special attack.
– Xerneas: The new legendary Pokemon sponsoring Pokemon X is apart of the new Fairy Type! It has the ability Fairy Aura which boosts the power of Fairy type moves and has the attack Geomancy!
– Yveltal: The massive legendary Pokemon that sponsors Pokemon Y is a Dark/flying dual type. It is given the ability Dark Aura which boosts the power of Dark moves and uses the attack Oblivion Wing!
The new Pokemon games have come packed with more than a new set of critters to rally up, new features have been added to the game as well:
– Mega Evolution: A brand new method of evolution that lasts the duration of a battle, Mega Evolving is induced when the Pokemon is holding their species specific Mega Stone. Once activated the Pokemon changes form and has a large increase in power! Here is a list of known Pokemon to Mega Evolve:
– Mewtwo: (either into Mega Mewtwo X or Mega Mewtwo Y)
– Fairy Type: An all new type has been discovered! The mysterious Fairy type has been found to be strong against Dragon, Fighting and Dark types. But is weak to Steel and Poison type Pokemon. It is however totally immune to Dragon type attacks.
– Type Changes: Steel types are no longer immune to Ghost or Dark type attacks! GameFreak is changing the playing field for competitive battlers with this change. We shall see how it ends up!
– Sky Battles: No longer are your battles limited to the ground or on the water! Take your flying, winged, ghost type or Pokemon with the ability Levitate into the skies and battle it out among the clouds!
– Horde Encounters: Horde encounters are a new method of battles that can occur in the wild. Up to five wild Pokemon can be encountered simultaneously. Be wary though, you can attack for how many Pokemon are on the field, but they can attack you just as many times.
– Capture Experience: Battling trainers and wild Pokemon is no longer the only way to gain experience! When you capture a Pokemon you gain experience as well, it is unclear however whether you gain more experience from captures or defeating the opponent.
– Mounts: Hardcore fans will be more than happy to hear that you can now ride specific Pokemon in the overworld! Skiddo and Gogoat are some of the first you encounter with this capability.
– Rollerblades: In every generation of Pokemon, the protagonist has been given a bike to speedily get from point A to point B. Now the player is given Rollerblades to glide across the roads of Kalos!
– Wild Pokemon Encounters: It has also been revealed that the Pokemon you encounter are determined by the kinds of flowers that adorn the grass. So you may encounter different Pokemon in grasses that have yellow flowers versus grasses with red flowers!
– Trainer Customization: For the first time ever, you can customize your trainers appearance! New outfits, skin colors and hairstyles are available to play around with.
– Player Search System: A new feature to X and Y, the Player Search System uses the 3DS system as a radar for other people playing Pokemon X or Y near you! Allowing easier access to battling, trading and talking to real trainers.
– Photo Spots: All around Kalos are monuments, statues or ideal places for photos. You can fiddle with the picture in many ways and then upload it to the Pokemon Global Link to share with your friends!
– Pokemon Amie: this is a neat feature that was thrown into the game to allow for one-on-one interaction with your Pokemon. It is Nintendog-style gameplay as you can feed and play with the Pokemon.
-Super Training: For the more seasoned trainers who get into Pokemon breeding and know how effort values work. There is a new feature called Super Training that allows you to raise the stats of your Pokemon through mini-games and “core training sessions.”
Following suit with every other Pokemon game, a new villainous organization, professor, and supportive characters have been introduced. There have been some surprises revealed with these characters however:
– Supporting Characters:
– Calem & Serena: These are the opposite gender character of yours, they will be your rival throughout the game
– Shauna: One of the people that live close to you in your home town, she is excited to join you and discover everything Kalos has to offer!
– Tierno: Striving to compose the best Pokemon Dance team ever, Tierno is a caring guy with a strong love for Pokemon. He gets distracted during battles trying to incorporate Pokemon moves into his dances.
– Trevor: Having a large curiosity and being a star student, Trevor gives you your Pokedex at the beginning of your journey.
– Professor Sycamore: The Pokemon expert of the Kalos region who is studying evolution of Pokemon, in particular Mega Evolution. He is the one to send you on your journey. Unlike in previous games however, Sycamore will give you one of three of the starters from Pokemon Red and Blue: Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle. One of your friends that you meet at the beginning of the game will give you your Kalos starter: Chespin, Fennekin or Froakie. He will also offer to battle you which is a new feature of a Pokemon Professor.
– Alexa: The elder sister of one of Kalos’s Gym Leaders, she is an aspiring journalist who works at a publishing house in Lumiose City.
– Diantha: A popular star in the Kalos region, she is also a trainer and will offer to battle and trade with you on your journey.
– Team Flare: The new bad bunch of X and Y has a specialization with Fire type Pokemon such as Houndour. Not much is really known about them other than a goal of making money by selling Pokemon and fossils. They have five admins in their group: the purple-haired Celosia; the orange-haired Aliana; the green-haired Bryony; and the blue-haired Mable. There is a stand alone scientist of the bunch named Xerosic, who is identified by his signature flame-style haircut.
The Pokemon Company has kept fans chomping at the bit for more news every step of the way since Pokemon X and Pokemon Y were announced. The games will be released October 12th, so stay tuned to this post for more information as it is revealed!
Remember trainers… Stay Calm and Save the Master Ball!